LFSD West Coast Challenge
On Short Days
Our South Coast Flying is some of the best to be had on short days. To
demonstrate, we offer a challenge to all unpowered foot launched aircraft on the West
Coast. The winner will be determined by the formula:
Note: The Challenge has been dormant since early 2006 because the promoter's
focus was redirected. (3/2010)
miles times z
- Miles = Total straight line miles between two points over-flown by an
unpowered aircraft that was foot launched from anywhere in one of the USA states that borders the
pacific ocean (California, Oregon, and Washington)
- z is a calculated adjustment factor to devalue longer days and is
calculated by an [expression] that was
frozen for 2015 on 12/31/04
- Note: the spread sheet expression includes the current year as part of
the formula, so you must use the xls file for the corresponding year.
- Aircraft: any unpowered aircraft, but the launch method for the flight
must be unassisted foot launch (no wheeled launches or towing, but you may
use people to assist without the aid of mechanical devices).
Unassisted & non-mechanized movement on the ground is permitted, but
resupply other than naturally occurring items is not permitted.
- Entry Fee: None
- Registration or prior declaration: None Required
- Documentation: A reasonably descriptive article must be posted to
the SCPA or the SBSA flight discussion forum. Flight articles must be posted by January
after the relevant year.
- Contest Period: From Jan 1st through Dec 31st
- Prizes: To be awarded by The Sundowner at
the February SBSA and or SCPA general membership meeting (attendance not required)
- No prices currently offered after 2006 due to lack of interest and
participation, but we could resurrect to challenge if there is renewed
Calculator